Is combination of Seroquel and Ambien effective in insomnia treatment?

I have insomnia, i have tried many medications and find 100mg of seroquel and 10 mg of ambien gets me to sleep quickly and solid sleep for 6-8 hours. Is this combination okay?
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Okay for short term... Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query. Seroquel (Quetiapine) is an anti-psychotic medication which has significant sedative properties. Ambien (Zolpidem) is a non-benzodiazepine sedative medication. Both can be used for the short term management of insomnia and it is a safe combination. Another advantage is that both medication don't have an addiction potential (unlike many other sedative medication). Having said that, I would also like to lwt you know that medication are used only in the short term management of insomnia and are usually gradually tapered down after a few weeks. Also, keep in mind that Seroquel can have long term side effects of weight gain and increasing the risk for diabetes, though this happens usually with larger doses only. So, it is advisable to take these medication under the supervision of a doctor and be on regular follow-ups. Wish you good health. Regards, Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar Consultant Psychiatrist