Is colonoscopy a safe procedure?

Hi my name is XXXXXXX I am 22 year old student last year i had chronic constipation and anal fissure... went to a doctor back home (bolivia, south america) who recommended fiber and water i had a colonoscopy done in december and it came back normal.... i was tested for std's this month in February and I have no serious stds that would cause any chronic constipation... I called my GI here in the US and he diagnosed me with IBS... Should I be concerned about this problems? I drink a lot more water and fiber nowadays... Do you think colonoscopies are safe procedures?--no risk of virus infection?? I was scared a little... Went to a private hospital back home so I hope all the equips were sterilized was kinda freaked out..
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 days later
Brief Answer: HI Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for the query. Do not worry. Your symptoms suggest nothing worrisome. Especially with normal colonoscopy is normal it should alley your anxiety. Continue drinking lots of water and fiber in your diet. Colonoscopy is a reasonably safe procedure. Most of the places a proper disinfection technique is followed and the risk of developing colonoscopy induced infection are very rare in such circumstances. Very very rare to acquire an infection through procedure so need not worry. Rarely viruses like HIV or Hepatitis B and C may get transmitted but the risk is extremely rare. Anyways as you have checked for STD they cover this infection. So need not worry. Best wishes. Happy to help.
Follow-up: Is colonoscopy a safe procedure? 11 minutes later
So nervous of virus infection :(.... I hope it all turns out well..
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Thank you for the query. Need not worry at all. Best wishes.