Is cold sore a sign of herpes?

Mar 2013
I am 39 years old and my, well actually he is not my doctor, he just read me my test results, but he stated that my test results, which he showed me had HSV 1 >5.00. I have never had any other doctor tell me I had Herpes before and believe me I have been tested, many times throughout my life and get blood work often as I have Hypothyroidism. I have never had any cold sores around my mouth or on my mouth. The only thing I've experienced since I was a child is a cold sore every once in an agent blue moon like maybe one sore every 5 years. So my girlfriend is now freaking out that she will get Herpes from me. I just don't know why no other doctor found this out prior and advised me. And wouldn't I have cold sores if I did have it? Please what is the >5.00 mean, does it tell you how many years I may have had this. Its just odd because not one person I have ever been with intimately has ever come back to me and claimed I gave them herpes, no ex's and no flings. Any info would be great! Is my girl right to pack up shop and never let us have intimate relations again? :-(
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: PLEASE UPLOAD TEST RESULTS. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Could you please upload the test results in entirety ? That would help me to provide a more specific answer.. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Take care.
Follow-up: Is cold sore a sign of herpes? 7 hours later
They have been uploaded as picture files. Thank you for your help. I never had cold sores thank god and as mentioned only get a canker sore once every two or three years inside lower lip by gums. All my Ex's have been tested many times and all assured me the were negative for Herpes. Isn't it only transmitted to another through cold sores / break outs around face and mouth? Since I've never had any then I'm not susceptible to pass this on to my girlfriend correct? Any help in clarifying would be great thanks.
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again I have three attachments here - all the 3 are essentially the same and are Pap smear results - all normal I meant could you upload the HSV test results that you are concerned about. If all your previous relationship partners tested negative for Herpes, chances of you having it are less. Even when one does not have cold sores, one can be totally asymptomatic and pass on the lesions via sexual contact. If there is no sexual contact, then yes, kissing and oral contact while having an active sore can transmit it. It would be more clear if you could upload the HSV 1 test report. That would simplify matters.
Follow-up: Is cold sore a sign of herpes? 6 hours later
Sorry, I was uploading on my phone so I thought I had uploaded all 3 parts of the results. All 3 parts are now uploaded so you should be able to see all my test results from my blood tests and STD tests. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
Brief Answer: TEST SUGGESTIVE OF HERPES INFECTION Detailed Answer: Hi, Are you sure what you routinely thought were canker sores were NOT cold sores ? I say this because your HSV 1 test suggests that you have been infected with the virus, that yes, you do carry the herpes simplex 1 virus. This is generally spread by oral sex and kissing. Of course the test is not confirmtory, but highly suggestive of this. ONce you have an active sore, only then can the doctor see it and say if it is a herpetic sore. In the meantime, with this report, yes, you are liable to spread the infection to others.