Is cloben g the right medication for jock itch?

Jan 2014

hi I have had jock itch for over 7 years now. I never used any medication. I started using cloben g cream for 2 days. I would like to know if this is the right medication and if so how long should I wait to see some results.
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Topical+oral antifungal Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at HCM Fungal infection of the groin/jock itch develops due to conducive environment provided by the body folds. Sweating, humidity, obesity are factors that encourage fungal growth. Cloben -g contains Clotrimazole/Gentamicin/Beclomethasone. Its a triple combination of antifungal+antibacterial+steroid. As a specialist i wont recommend a triple combination because these combinations are not scientific and don't give any reliance to clinical diagnosis. Jock itch is a fungal infection and there is no need to use a cream which contains an steroid+antibacterial+antifungal (cloben-g) rather a cream containing either a plain antifungal agent OR steroid+antifungal combination should be used. I would recommend either a plain antifungal like clotrimazole(Candid cream)/Ketoconazole/sertaconazole(Onabet cream)/luliconazole etc OR an antifungal+steroid combination cream e.g clotrimazole+beclomethasone cream(Candid-B Cream/Canesten-B cream) OR Sertaconazole+beclomethasone(Onabet-B cream). In my practice i also prescribe an oral antifungal along with the topical cream e.g Fluconazole 150mg tablet to be taken once every week for 4-6 weeks An OTC antihistamine e.g cetrizine or loratadine can be taken once or twice daily for symptomatic itch relief. Once the infection gets cured I advice my patients to use an antifungal dusting powder twice daily. It keeps the area dry and being antifungal it does'nt allow the fungus to proliferate again. take care regards