Is circumcision the only remedy for phimosis? Unable to retract foreskin, painful

Question
is circumcision , the only remedy for phymosis ? I am unable to retracr my fore skin and on applying force , giving much pain. I have heard that circumcision is the only treatment available for this type of tight foreskin. Can u plz give me some advice, what are the complications, type of anaesthesia, cost of operation, after effects etc
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 9 hours later

Thanks for your query,

Phimosis results in tight foreskin which is either not retractable or causes much pain on retraction. It is best treated by circumcision.

In children, we sometimes use a steroid cream to soften the skin of the prepuce which may also work.

Circumcision is an out-patient procedure and is performed under local anesthesia. It is a simple procedure and usually without any side-effects, if performed properly.

You should consult your local urologist to know the cost of the procedure.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries that you may have.

Dr Vineet Malhotra

Follow-up: Is circumcision the only remedy for phimosis? Unable to retract foreskin, painful 11 hours later
Thank you for the advice, one more doubt , whom should i consult for circumcision, a urologist or general surgeon ?

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 48 minutes later

Thanks again.

You can consult either a general surgeon or an urologist as both are trained to perform circumcision.

I hope I have answered your query.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please close the discussion.

Dr Vineet Malhotra