Is chronic hep b curable? Safe to drink alcohol?

Hi . I have a chronic hep b right now.. Can I cure it??And can I drink alochol in hep b ???
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 34 minutes later

Well chronic hepatitis B is difficult to cure.

There three import scenarios in hepatitis B

1) Those who need no treatment but just regular blood check ups
They usually have normal liver enzyme (SGOT /SGPT) and no evidence of liver damage. (You are likely to be in this situation)

2) Those who have high enzymes and low viral load can be considered for interferon which can cure HBsAG to the tune of 4-6 % per year after treatment.

3) High enzymes or intermittently rising enzymes but ā€˜eā€™ antigen negative low or high viral load can be treated with tablets but the clearance of HBs Ag is very low.

I think if your gastroenterologist has not advised treatment, likely you are in first category.
Just keep a good follow up which is very important.

Alcohol is best to be avoided in patients with hepatitis B.

Hope this answers your query.
Please do reply in case of any further questions.
Follow-up: Is chronic hep b curable? Safe to drink alcohol? 1 hour later
Can I live longer life in hep b ?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 13 hours later
thank you for the query.
Definitely you can lead an near normal life with hepatitis B if your liver functions are normal and you are on a regular follow up with a gastroenterologist
Hope this answers your query.