Is chronic bronchitis contagious ?

can i have sex with my wife who has chronic bronchitis ,and is it contagious
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 minutes later
Welcome ,
Bronchitis is not contagious.Its an infection of the bronchioles of the lung.Most often bacterial but not known to be contagious.There should be no reason that you cannot have sexual intercourse due to this.
Hope that answers your query,
If you have follow up queries,please do write back,
Follow-up: Is chronic bronchitis contagious ? 1 hour later
doctor thank you so much for the reply .so its perfectly alright to be close to her .so i wont get it .and will i get it by kisisng with her or any intimate touch.please help me with it doctor .it has been hurting our relationship..overall you are saying doctor that i can have a normal sexual relation with her.will condom protect me from this Chronic bronchitis .thanking you
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 minutes later
Hi Joazkia

Thanks for writing back

Chronic bronchitis is most often due to inhalants like smoke ,fumes from some chemicals,and other allergens. In such a case it remains confined to the person suffering from it and does not spread to others,remains non contagious .

It does not spread through sexual contact , close touch or kissing .Using a condom in view of protection from chronic bronchitis is not necessary , a condom is meant to protect from sexually transmitted diseases like HIV, HEPATITS , CHLYMIDIA and similar infections

I would want to add that , in some cases , chronic bronchitis may be overlapped with an acute exacerbation by an underlying secondary bacterial or viral infection .This acute episode will present with cough , sputum /expectoration with yellowish/brown mucus, foul smelling breath at times , coated tongue , and frequent fever , body ache , etc .During this period , the underlying infection may spread to others by means of touch and kissing as they are known to spread by the route of droplets from the nose and mouth of an infected person.

If your wife has an acute episode you may post pone getting intimate with her for a while till she recovers completely with the help of antibiotics and symptomatic treatment.

Otherwise , I do not see any reason for you to keep away from having a normal sexual relationship with her in case of chronic bronchitis .

Wishing her a speedy recovery and good health.
Follow-up: Is chronic bronchitis contagious ? 5 hours later
doctor .thank you for answering my query,i really appreciate your help

the thing is she had cough but she always recover in day .and its mostly dry cough which comes in just 3 or four months and she will recover with it very fast .like last night she had a cough and she took some ginger hot water and she was ok and she never cough and there is always no or anything or droplets she never had fever or body ache except shortness of breath sometime she is like any other normal person doctor .my family doctor said its ok to be intimate with her . and she already is a confirm case of chronic bronchitis which was developed from acute doctor.she never smoked its just started with a cold .we had done an x XXXXXXX and it came out all clear i am confused with this and we are depressed.please help me
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 hours later
Thanks for writing back .

I would also go by what your family doctor says .There is no harm in getting intimate with her.

After reading the detailed history about her cough, having minimal or no expectoration,no signs of fever, and having confirmed clinically and with a chest X XXXXXXX that she is having CHRONIC BRONCHITIS , I do not see this to be an acute exacerbation with a secondary infection as a possibility.Hence it is very unlikely to be contagious.

So , do not worry and I feel nothing must stop both of you from having a sexual relationship.Go ahead, and lead a happy life

Wish you a good health