Is calcified pineal gland a serious problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
A recent CT scan came back negative. Then I has an MRI done that showed a calcified pineal gland. Is this serious ? I'm 29
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: I am not concerned... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Calcified pineal gland is a normal finding in many people, and there is no treatment necessary for that. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Is calcified pineal gland a serious problem? 7 hours later
Would the gland appear prominent due to the calcifications? Im attaching the report

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. I have noted the CT film as well as the MRI findings. I agree that the amount of calcium is more than what would normally be seen in a pineal gland, however, the chance of this being due to tumor is very less. At this stage, no action is necessary. A follow up scan may be done after six months, to look for any increase in the size of lesion. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Is calcified pineal gland a serious problem? 26 minutes later
What would cause the gland to have excessive calcium ? Is this serious? Im afraid its a tumor .

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. The calcium is there in the blood, and as the blood flows through the gland, some of it gets deposited in the gland over a period of time. Generally, in a tumor, we do not find calcium, and the gland itself would be enlarged, so, to me, it does not look like a tumor. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Is calcified pineal gland a serious problem? 47 minutes later
Is this common ? Will this cause me problems in the future ? I also have hyperprolactinemia for more than 5 years. Is this related ?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Yes, I see people with pineal gland calcification commonly. It would not cause any problems in the future. Hyperprolactinemia is not related to pineal gland. Prolactin hormone is secreted from the pituitary gland. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Is calcified pineal gland a serious problem? 13 hours later
I have a relatively large calcified non obstructing kidney stone. So does my father. Is there a correlation between that and the calcified pineal gland ? If so is this dietary? What can i do ?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. No, there is no relation between kidney stone and calcified pineal gland. Also, it is not related to a specific diet. Calcified pineal gland is a normal finding, and no action (medical or dietary) is needed at present. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)