Is calcification of the pineal gland a serious medical condition?

Recent CT scan was negative. Had am MRI that showed calcification of the pineal gland. Im 29 years old is this serious?
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 12 minutes later
Hi XXXX, Thanks for your query. Pineal gland produces several important hormones including melatonin. Melatonin influences sexual development and sleep-wake cycles. The effects depend on the degree of its calcification. You may ignore it if you do not have any problems. If you do have problems, post them as Premium (Paid) Query addressed directly to me. Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Is calcification of the pineal gland a serious medical condition? 5 minutes later
I was having the scan done because i have elevated prolactin. It was a consequential finding while assessing the pituitary for microadenoma. Pituitary was normal but calcified pineal gland was found. The doctor said it was calcified more than if should be at my age 29. Im scared its a tumor. Neurologist told me he just wants a repeat scan in 3 months .
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Calcified pineal gland is usually non-cancerous Detailed Answer: A calcified lesion is usually, but not invariably, a non-cancerous tumor. Further, calcification of Pineal gland begins as early as 10 years of age. The prevalence increases rapidly with age, reaching a plateau at about 30 years of age. Hence, in all likelihood, the calcification is near-normal for your age, depending on the degree of calcification revealed by MRI scan. In my experience, follow-up of most of the cases of calcified pineal gland have been found to be asymptomatic and non-cancerous. There is therefore, no cause of concern at this stage. I agree with your Neurologist that a repeat scan be done to see any change in its texture or size. A static tumor for a long period, without increasing in size or texture, is strongly suggestive of a non-cancerous, age-related calcification. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Is calcification of the pineal gland a serious medical condition? 9 minutes later
Would this be causing my hyperprolactinemia? I have had this for 5 years
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: No role of Pineal gland calcification Detailed Answer: Calcified Pineal Gland has NO role in causing Hyperprolactinemia.