Is bursitis associated with knee weakness ?

General Surgeon
I have bursitis in my left hip. Now I've noticed a weakness in my left knee, especially when climbing stairs. Sometimes there is also stabbing pains in the knee. Could this be related to the hip problem? XXXXXXX age 55, 155 lb, 5'3"
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 21 minutes later

There are two major bursae around the hip joint, the trochanteric bursa and the ischial bursa.

Inflammation of these can be associated with stiffness and pain around the hip joint not knee joints.

Bursitis can be infectious or non infectious.

But bursitis of hip generally do not cause weakness or movement problem in knee joints.

Problem during stair climbing suggests some other knee pathology.

At the age of 55 years degenerative or osteoarthritis of knee is seen in many patients, more so in females.

So orthopedic opinion can be beneficial in such cases.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”