Is burning sensation and cramps in pelvic region caused due to spermicide?

Mar 2016

I had sex using a condom containing spermicide and now I believe I'm having a reaction to it. Burning, hot like feeling and cramps in the general pelvic and lower pelvic region... Not sure what to do...
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Spermicide gel or foam is usually NOT recommended with having pelvic disease or vaginal infection. It can aggravate burning sensation and vaginal irritation to some extent. Allergic reaction is quite common among women using Spermicide or chemical lubricated condom. Vaginal yeast infection or Trichomoniasis are the other causative agent if you have vaginal discharge (+/-) bad smell. In that case, one vaginal swab test is required to confirm the diagnosis and make better drug treatment. In this case, you can do the following things to get relieve: 1) Clean the vaginal area with plain cold water and keep the area dry. Don't wipe the genital area much. 2) Use vaginal moisturizer cream or maintain vaginal pH with VAGISIL cream. It will help to reduce vaginal irritation. Take anti-spasmodic medication like DROTIN to reduce abdominal or pelvic cramp. 3) Wear only clean and cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. 4) Take healthy diet with with anti oxidant (like Vitamin -E or C, Selenium, Zinc, Lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water or juice for better systemic circulation. 5) Antibiotic or vaginal suppository may be required if above symptoms persist more than 3 to 4 days. In that case, you must consult with local doctor for complete prescription following clinical examination. 6) Avoid chemical cosmetics or soaps or scented bath products around genital area. Don't practice unprotected sex till the problem is completely resolved. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW