Is bubbling feeling in my left chest due to acid reflux?

I've been experiencing a fluttering or bubble feeling in my left side of chest recently. I do have a history of acid reflux so I'm thinking it may be just harmless gas. It seems to come on stronger after I sneeze and gets very intense at times. Any opinion would help. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later
Hi ,

Thanks for posting your query

Since you have a history of acid reflux it can be assumed that the pain which you are having is due to Gastritis.

But fluttering/bubble feeling in chest can be indicative of pain originating due to heart or chest problems or even due to anxiety.

You need to be very much vigilant regarding this and it would be better to get a ECG done as to rule out any other problems.

If you have family history of heart disease, it is better to do Lipid Profile Test and Complete Blood investigations.

Please follow these measures:
1) You can take Over the Counter available Tums right now but if the severity of the pain increases or any other symptom arises consider rushing to ER immediately.
2)Drink lots of fluids like water and fruit juices.
3)Avoid tea, coffee, smoking, consumption of alcohol and hot drinks like soup.
4)Avoid fatty, spicy food intake and prefer having light food items.
6)Take adequate rest and keep the head portion elevated by using pillows while lying down.
7)Do not go to bed immediately after having food.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I will be available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Is bubbling feeling in my left chest due to acid reflux? 10 hours later
Thank you for your answer. Also wanted to mention I had a slightly abnormal echocardiogram in March of this year, but a normal cardiac catheterization and follow up ECG. Of course this is four months later so not sure what to think. Also I recently had blood work (about 3 weeks ago) but not sure of the results.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up

If one of the ECG was slightly abnormal and still the fluttering symptoms persist it will be better to get a complete cardiac evaluation done.You can also go for Stress ECG and cardia ECHO to confirm the cause.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you Good health.