Is bruising and swelling in leg a sign of broken tibia after a twisted leg in skiing?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Fell while skiing and twisted left leg boot stayed in ski. I just worked through pain and swelling thinking it was just a bruise now it hurts to walk on it and is still bruising and swelling. Is my tibia broken and could I still walk if it were?
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: You will need X ray of knee and leg. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case history. Skiing injury leading to twisting of leg may lead to tibial injury or joint ligament injury. Traumatic injury can lead to bruise due to hematoma formation. If there is fracture in your leg bone then it is difficult to walk on it You will need X ray of knee and leg. Clinical examination is important to rule out knee or ankle ligament injury. For these symptoms analgesic and medication can be started. Till time take medication like analgesic and apply crepe bandage over leg or use supportive splint. Do ice fomentation and rest to leg. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.