Is botox injection safe if given for deltoid muscle?

Nov 2013

One of my relation was given botox 50units ( botulinum toxin ) deep im injection in 1ml of normal saline, to left deltoid muscle.. will there be any serious effect
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I would like to reassure that botox injection is very safe and we do not expect any side effects if it was given in deltoid muscle. In your relative's case, most likely he has post-stroke spasticity of the deltoid muscle, and the botox injection was given to reduce the spasticity. If he benefits, this injection should be repeated after a period of 3-4 months. In the meanwhile, physiotherapy should be continued. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: Is botox injection safe if given for deltoid muscle? 31 minutes later
I am sorry to interrupt you again sir and thanks a lot for responding me... please tell me that can it cause paralysis of the deltoid muscle.. because he can function most normally by that arm Upto now.. please respond
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Botox injection can cause transient weakness of the muscle, but recovery would occur in 10-14 days. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)