Is bloody mucus from the vagina normal when not having periods ?

Oncologist
Question
XXXXXXX female, 21
I was just wondering if having bloody mucus coming out of your vagina is normal? Or should I be worried? I haven't had my period afterwards either. I have very irregular periods too if that matters. My husband and I have also been trying to conceive for about a year..do you have any suggestions to help us?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

What this might be is an infection and not necessarily pure blood. There are a few things which can cause the mucous to be discolored. Among these causes are bacterial vaginosis which is an overgrowth of a bacteria in the vagina. This is easily treated with an antibiotic.

Another case would be an infection higher up - in the pelvis or uterus. This can sometimes be associated with crling or pain.

If you have a negative pregnancy test I think you need to see your primary care provider for a focused exam and consultation. He can take cultures of the mucous to rule out an infection. I think you should try to be seen this week if possible.

Thanks again for the query. I hope this serves to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I'd be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Is bloody mucus from the vagina normal when not having periods ? 1 hour later
What about our trying to conceive? Do you think that clomid would be a good choice for us? I only have my periods about 3 times a year. Do you have any over the counter medications that you would recommend to speed up the process?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

As for the Clomid this would be a reasonable choice in helping you to conceive. I would discuss this with your doctor who could provide a prescrition. Generally when prescribed appropriately it can work very well.

Regarding over the counter medications there are none that I would recommend because there have been no proven clinical studies which support that there exists a product which would provide this fertility benefit. There are hundreds of products which may claim to help but they unfortunately have no effect.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga