Is blood in stools and abence of bowel movement due to ulcers?

My girlfriend who weighs 130 pounds, is 5' 6" who has been diagnosed with RA 2 yrs ago, has been prescribed and is taking the following medications; Methotrexate (Weekly), Lyrica (nightly), Symbicort(Daily), Nuvaring (birth control) and Folic Acid Daily. She is an occasional drinker. Noticed blood after a bowl movement at work today -- it has only occurred once and she has not had another bowl movement since then. She says that is may just be a burst blood vessel after her boss who is an RN looked at there cause for concern in terms of her other existing condition as well as the medication? Could this be an ulcer? She has been very stressed out lately and extremely week the past couple of weeks? Please advise.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
The medicines she is taking make her prone to have an ulcer but in case of an ulcer the bleeding in the stool is manifested as a black stool and not a bright red blood.
Passing a bright red blood can be due to rectal fissures or hemorrhoids. A worm infestation may also cause loss of blood in stools. She needs to have a stool test for ova, cysts and parasites and get herself examined from a surgeon for the diagnosis.
Meanwhile drink plenty of water and avoid constipation.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.