Is bleeding with pain due to cyst rupture in my ovary a sign of miscarriage?

Question
Hi there, I has a cyst rupture on my ovary about a month ago now. Today is my second day of period. I'm usually bleeding a lot and in pain. I was in extreme pain this morning and only had what looked like a finishing period on my tampon. I took it out and then went pee.. What came out on the toilet paper freaked me out. It was like a sac thick skin the size of a quarter and it looked like a little blood in one part and veins... I'm freaking out!?? Is that normal? Did I have a miscarriage? What's going on?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Miscarriage is a possibility, but need some info Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I have gone through your query with diligence ma'am, and would like to first ask you when you last experienced your period, and was there a chance you were pregnant right before this experience? If you did have your period, how long before this incident was the period? Also, were you sexually active after the last period that you experienced prior to the incident? I would now like to shed some light on whether this could have been a miscarriage or not. Firstly, it is not possible to comment on that without investigative procedures ma'am, as only either examining the contents that you saw or conducting a few blood investigations and an ultrasound examination would help to accurately diagnose a miscarriage. But, if you wish to confirm the same, I would request you to visit a clinic/hospital and request for a serum hCG level check and an ultrasound examination immediately, the serum hCG level would be elevated and the uterus may show signs of a possible pregnancy, but with an absent uterine gestational sac; if this in fact was a miscarriage. Other signs or symptoms of a possible miscarriage can be: -Delayed or missed period -Brownish or dark red discharge -Pregnancy symptoms before the miscarriage -Severe cramps -Bleeding which progresses from light to heavy -Fever, weakness, other general symptoms We should also consider the possibility of this being a side effect of the procedure involving the removal of your ovary due the rupture. If miscarriage is ruled out, then this would be another possible cause. Other causes include uterine abnormalities, abnormalities of the inner lining of the uterus, hormonal imbalance due to the removed ovary, etc. At this point, I would say that this is not normal and will have to be further investigated ma'am. Chances of a miscarriage do exist, but this will have to be further investigated, for which I would request you to kindly visit a doctor. I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Is bleeding with pain due to cyst rupture in my ovary a sign of miscarriage? 6 hours later
I had an ultra sound and blood work done when i had the cyst rupture on my ovary.. We thought maybe my appendix. But they ruled that out with the blood work. Also i was off the pill for a couple weeks.. I dont know if that affected anything. This month i have been sexually active a few times. The last timw was the day before i started my period... So i guess not on the pill. Here is a pic of what came out. It was bigger but i touched it. And it was a thick skin. I also had a leep done last year. Dont jnow if thay affects anything

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: In my opinion miscarriage can be ruled out Detailed Answer: Hello once again. Thank you for all that information, I really appreciate it and many thanks for the attached image as well. In my opinion, this could possibly be related to the ovary excision that was conducted a month ago. I cannot be too sure, but the structure does resemble the fallopian tubes, which should have been removed during the ovary excision procedure. But, I am sure this is not the fetus/gestational sac, and would certainly not be a miscarriage, based solely on the image. The chances of this being a miscarriage have certainly reduced based on the image attached. Also important to note is that you have not really skipped a period, and so chances reduce even further. If you are being sexually active, I would recommend you to use birth control and also discuss options to restart your pill, if your doctor recommends it. But your main query being about miscarriage, I think we can rule that out ma'am. As for what this is, my closest bet would be that this is only a remnant of the procedure that was conducted earlier this month, and should not be a cause for concern, as your body is only trying to expel all the remnants from the procedure. In my opinion, you are safe and have nothing to worry about. I hope you find my response helpful ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Wishing you nothing but good health now and in the future. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Is bleeding with pain due to cyst rupture in my ovary a sign of miscarriage? 3 hours later
Ok thank you. I only had an ultrasound and they found a bit of liquide so they said it was probably a ruptured cyst. They never went in and did anything... As for the picture i played with it a bit to try and figure it out. It did resemble a sac when it came out.... Im going to the doctors this morning anyways to get more birth control and ask. I have been on birth control since i was 17... I was only off of it for about two weeks because i ran out of my perscription.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take the tissue sample along to the doctors Detailed Answer: Hi ma'am. Thank you for that information. While you are at the doctors, please do take the tissue that was expelled. Your doctor may request to send the sample to the laboratory, for further examination or may be able to assess and evaluate the tissue by himself. This would certainly help to find the source of the tissue. Do not worry ma'am, chances of this being a miscarriage are slim; but it is always best to confirm the same with the help of a physical examination and possibly supported by a laboratory confirmation of the same. Best of luck with the appointment, and do keep me updated ma'am. God bless.

Follow-up: Is bleeding with pain due to cyst rupture in my ovary a sign of miscarriage? 28 hours later
Went to the doctor this morning with my sample. Im now in the waiting game to see what it was. Thanks again for your time.

Brief Answer: Best of luck ma'am Detailed Answer: Hi ma'am. Hoping for nothing but the best. Do keep me updated. Best of luck.