Is bleeding and swelling red gums normal for herpangina?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
1 year old was diagnosed with herpangina on thursday! Shes better it seems but her gums are extremely red and bleed when i softbrush her teeth bc smell? Normal? She likes to brush but the week she git sick she would cry so i havenf brushed in a week and when i did tonight the blood gushed! Should i be worried about gingivitis or is bleeding and swollen red gums normal for herpangina?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Herpangina is self limiting Detailed Answer: Hi Ms. XXXXXXX Welcome to health care magic. I have gone through your query and I understand your concern regarding bleeding gums in your 1 year old daughter. Herpangina is a self limiting viral illness caused most commonly by entero viruses, and Coxsackie A being the most frequent culprit. Typically children have sore throat and fever with blisters over the lips, mouth and palate and are resistant to drinking and eating. There may be enlarged neck nodes and these blisters usually last for a week. Gingivitis is also common in such cases and seems to be the cause of bleeding in this case as seen in the picture you have uploaded. I suggest using a very soft bristles toothbrush or just clean her teeth with your fingers with light round massaging action on the gums. If she is complaining of pain, I suggest you get in touch with her treating doctor and get a prescription for a local anesthetic gel to apply over the painful areas in the mouth. Allow the herpangina to heal as it is self limiting and the lesions should reduce within 7-10 days. If the bleeding still persists then you need to get in touch with her dentist for examination and treatment. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks.