Is bleeding after anal sex normal?

Infertility Specialist
Is bleeding after anal sex normal?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Anus has numerous vascular supply. There are lot of blood vessels which help in the process it is meant to do (passing stools). There is soft lining called mucosa. Hence during anal sex, there is injury to these blood vessels and it leads to bleeding.

Bleeding may also be due to damage to anal sphincter which controls passing of stools. This causes infection at a later stage.

Anal sex over long time leads to anal sphincter dilatation will occur which might not bleed anymore. I advice you to prevent anal sex as much as possible.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any foolw up query you have. If no more queries, please accept my answer and close the disussion.

Follow-up: Is bleeding after anal sex normal? 2 days later
Yes, but no if we used lubrication and were going slow could that still cause bleeding?
He is very well sized and I'm thinking that was the problem but need to know. I understand it not the recommended method of sex but I was just fulfilling one of his fantasies before we get marry. I really need to know why I was bleeding. I'm not anymore just afterwards but need to know for me. So can you give me a clear medical reason why?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 41 minutes later
Hi, thanks for reverting back.

It seems my first reply was not clear, let me try today to offer a simple and scientific explanation. The diameter of anal orifice & sphincter which control passing stools are smaller. It is like passing a large diameter rod through small diameter ring which tears away.

Due to the small diameter of anal canal and as the canal is lined by highly vascular blood vessels any minor trauma can lead to bleeding.

If you were sufficiently lubricated during the act, the chances of severe trauma is less likely and you need not worry. However as other complications like tear of anal sphincter and anal canal are very common with anal intercourse, it is not advisable.

You had bleeding becuse of small diameter of your anal canal, high vascularity (plenty of blood vessels), no dilatation & tight anal sphincter.

Hope it is clear now. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
If my answer is clear and you do not have any further follow ups, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.