Is bladder wash necessary for ureaplasma treatment?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I have been tested positive for Ureaplasma and part of my treatment involves washing my bladder out. Is this really necessary?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Routinely,Bladder wash is not required Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health care magic. Ureaplasma is a normal commensal of genital tract in both men and women. Though its a part of normal genital flora,it can cause non-specific urethritis (NSU). It is transmitted by sexual contact. As you and your husband are prescribed azithromycin,you people take the complete course of antibiotics. Bladder wash is indicated only if you have symptoms like pyuria (pus in the urine),obstruction to the flow of urine or cystitis. Only if you have any of these symptoms, you can go for bladder wash. Otherwise routinely bladder wash is not indicated in ureaplasma infection. Also,i would advice you and your husband not to engage in sexual activity till the infection gets cured. Hope you are happy with the answer.If any further queries,feel free to post them. Thank you.