Is back ache, knee pain and severe nerve pain common after a C section?

Hello doctor, Iam 35 years old and delivered my 2nd baby on16 Aug 2013thru c 1st baby in 2008 was also by csec.But because of my 2nd baby serious health issues after birth I had to start travelling for his check ups after 7 th day of my csec.At that time I dont know from where I got the strength but now I have serious back ache .knee pain .continuous ankle pain n swelling in both the feets and severe nerve pain in both the legs.And iam active at home doing alot of physical household work and standing in the kitchen even for 15 or 20 mts aggregate the pain.i am having nerve pain in my right hand too for last few days.i sleep on the floor with kids as someone told ius lying on the floor will help.yes I did gained alot of weight after my csec.drink less water and coz of the baby I have sleepless nights, was taking pain killers and calcium supplements given by doc.please guide me iam not able to bear the pain getting up from the floor to make feeds in the night is becmin difficult. Please help.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Do consult a spine specialist. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Lower back pain and joint pains is quite common features following a Caesarean section and is due to effect of the epidural or spinal anesthesia and increased progesterone levels. It may radiate from lower back region to buttock, medial aspect of thigh or pelvic region up to vagina. Associated vaginal /urinary tract infection and intense stress may aggravate this condition. Here, I suggest you to consult with a spine specialist regarding this for complete physical examination. In addition, one x-ray or MRI of lumber region may be useful. You may also need to consult physiotherapist for complete recovery. Following things are very much helpful in preventing above condition: 1) Do not sleep on the floor. 2) Maintaining good posture during breast feeding or sleeping is much essential. Avoid sleeping on soft mattress. Foam or air mattress is quite comfortable and gives adequate back support. 3) Use hot and cold bag alternatively. You can lie on a heating pad for half to one hour, then replace it with an ice pack. Taking a hot bath with epsom salts can give some relief from low back pain and swollen feet. 4) Gentle stretching the back muscles & pilates classes (way of exercise for good health) are quite good for low back pain following a C-section. They strengthen abdominal muscles and make easier in relief back pain. In addition, yoga & pelvic tilts are very much helpful for lower back pain. Pelvic tilts means lying on your back with knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Tilt your tailbone toward belly button while keeping your hips on the floor in a subtle movement. At the top of the tilt, you tighten butt muscles & release after that . Repeat this exercise 10-15 times daily to get relief from back pain in great extent. 5) Take healthy diet with consuming more vegetables/ fruits and avoid spicy/ fatty food stuff. 6) Use some medication like muscle relaxant gel for local application, take calcium & methylcobalamin (vitamin B12) supplements. I think that above information is much sufficient and useful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Is back ache, knee pain and severe nerve pain common after a C section? 32 hours later
Hi doctor, Thanx for the response.ur guidance will be a great help for me.There's one moredthing I wud like to know if I can choose Slim Pro 24 a weight loss supplement for losing already on a healthy lifestyle and diet but its not helping.My baby is on top 5.3' n my weight is 82kgs.will b awaiting for ur reply
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later
Brief Answer: It is best to avoid taking it. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The weight loss supplements are not medically proven regarding their adverse effects. Their effect is also not long lasting. The effect can show on your baby also. It is best to do regular exercise and avoid taking any such supplements. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards