Is atrial fibrillation related to radiotherapy and lumpectomy?

I had radiotherapy for 4 weeks following a lumpectomy in 1993. Recently I have developed atrial fibrillation and wonder if there is a link between these conditions.e-mail address : YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Not likely - after nearly two decades. In earlier times, it could happen from pericardial inflammation. After two decades, it is most unlikely as an isolated manifestation of radiation effect. At this age, there are several other causes, that are common and need attention.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck