Is atrial fibrillation related to chronic intermittent tingling or numbness of hands?

I have atrial fibrillatin, and experience chronic intermittent tingling and/or numbness in my hands, particularly the left. Are these related?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 43 minutes later

The symptoms of - "chronic intermittent tingling and/or numbness in hands" could be signs of peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral neuropathy refers to a condition that results from damage to the peripheral nervous system—the nerves that connect the brain and spinal cord to the rest of the body. Symptoms of peripheral neuropathy usually begin with numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, followed by more severe complications.

Atrial fibrillation is not a direct cause of peripheral neuropathy.
Most cases of atrial fibrillation are secondary to other medical problems, including coronary artery disease, hyperthyroidism (an overactive thyroid gland), chronic lung disease , long term hypertension, etc.

Long term complications, due to the above conditions, can be associated with reduced blood flow to the nerves and its supporting structures, resulting in signs of peripheral neuropathy.

In addition, some of the medications you are on, could also be the cause of your symptoms-
1. peripheral neuropathy is a uncommon side effect seen due to long term use of statins (Lipitor) and
2. Propafenone can occasionally cause - numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness, muscle weakness

You might consult with your treating doctor, and express your concerns, and he might be able to examine you and then determine the exact course of action.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available to answer any follow up queries .