Is aswagandha good for anxiety treatment?

Ayurveda Specialist
Dear Doctor I have been suffering from anxiety for the last many years along with acidity, indigestion and hypothyroidism. As I came to know that aswagandha is good for anxiety, I would like take it in capsule form. Is it a right decision and if so what must be the dosage
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: need more details Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and following points need clarification before starting with Ashwagandha. 1. Is anxiety attacks related with some threat or treatment interventions? 2. is anxiety manifested due to some illness? 3. is anxiety a symptom of some withdrawal? 4. before I rush to prescribe herbal medicine or any Alternative system of Medicine, do let me know about any of these possibilities to know more about the evaluation and management of your problem, in the mean time start incorporating following guidelines in your daily routine: - Avoid: excess physical –mental exertion, sun exposure, corrylium, smoking, errhine therapy, betel leaves, gruel, soup, day time sleeping, garlic, ginger, onion, spicy-heavy- junk food, mustard oil, pickles. - Take: mint, coriander, tomato, cumin, plenty of water, vitamins and mineral supplements, XXXXXXX banana,grapes,dates - You can practice: bhujangasana,halasana, paschimottasana, sarvangasana, shalabhasana, shavasana and vakrasana and pranayamas like bhastrika and kapalbhati. - Lemon juice mixed with sugar in a glass of water helps release stress removing hormones from the body and bring mind at peace/rest. Besides those: i. Take 1 spoon black pepper powder and 5 spoons jaggery in 4 cup water and boil till 2 cups remain, filter it and drink for 1 month. ii. Take 3 teaspoons of bitter gourd with a glass of water every morning for a month. iii. Mix 4-5 dates in half glass of water and drink 2 times daily for a month. iv. XXXXXXX almond, banana, broccoli, cantaloupe, melon, carrot, cashew nut, corn, cauliflower, grapes, guava, lemon, mango, orange, pineapple, soybean, spinach have anti oxidant properties so take them in plenty. PS. 1. Ashwagandha increases serum concentrations of thyroid hormones; thus, thyrotoxicosis, may be quite a serious side effect of the root. This may mean that those suffering hypothyroidism will temporarily suffer hyperthyroidism and vice versa. 2. It is necessary to work closely with a medical practitioner before, during and after a decision to implement Ashwagandha usage for thyroid health. Dr. Munish Sood Consultant & Physician Naimittika Clinic.