Is any medicine available to avoid car sickness for an infant ?

hi, my baby is 6.5mths old and has started getting car sick. She is on gaviscon as always sick with milk. Otherwise she is healthy and a good weight. is there anything that i can give her, medicine or wristbands etc that would help as we travel in the car frequently.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Car sickness is not common in infants. Before travelling make sure that the child has no empty stomach. I will give some suggestions :
1)Position the car seat so that the child can look outside and not focus on a single point.
2)Avoid the rear most seat in a car and if the child is in the backseat place him in the middle.
3)Allow fresh air to come inside.
4)Make sure that no one is smoking in the car. Child can feel nauseous.
5)Make frequent stops while driving.
6)You can use Sea bands which work by accupressure (which are wristbands). Try on your infant too.
7)Apply ice pack intermittently on the back of neck when you feel the child is uncomfortable.
8)Some antihistamines can be taken for long journeys before starting. You can get a prescription for that which have 'Hyoscine' in it. Same are available as OTC preparation for adults.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up if any.