Is anxiety and panic issues related to neurofibroma?

Nov 2013

I have 3 subcantous nodules on my front abodomen. I showed it to a GI specialist he said they are neuro fibromas. I also have been having anxiety and panic issues since last 2 years . Could these 2 be related. The doctor gave me B complex tablets and said these nodules are harmless (non-cancerous). I have read online that firbromas could cause brain tumor etc, I am worried that my anxiety and blurred vision is manifestation of these fibromas in my brain. Please suggest.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXX, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your complaints. I agree that these subcutaneous nodules over your abdomen are most likely to be neurofibromas. These are benign tumors in more than 99% of cases. If in doubt, one of the nodules can be biopsied to confirm the diagnosis. Regarding the occurrence of these tumors inside the brain, I agree that rarely they can occur inside the brain nerves too, typically in the hearing nerve region. Your symptoms of anxiety and blurred vision are unlikely to be due to brain tumors, however, I would suggest you to get examined by a neurologist. If needed, an MRI of brain may be done to exclude any internal brain tumors. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Follow-up: Is anxiety and panic issues related to neurofibroma? 7 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for the clarification. I did consult a neurologist 2 months back before I noticed the nodules. So I conulted him only for the anxiety issues. He did some observation on my eyes,balance also he used his hammer etc and finally said that I do not need an MRI . Shall I go back to him and show him the nodules. Also if these nodules occur in the hearing area what kind of symptons will it produce?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: If your neurological examination was normal, then, there is no need to go for MRI brain now. If the hearing nerve is affected, the symptoms to watch for would be tinnitus (buzzing sound in the ear), decreased hearing and imbalance while walking. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)