Is antiacidity medication taken and safe during pregnancy?

Hello, I am currently in my 6th month of pregnancy. From last night i have severe pain in upper abdomen. I ate some gassy food yesterday.My Dr adviced me to take Pantodac. After taking the drug i feel better but pain re ocurrs in 2 hours. I also have stomach upset from today morning. Please advice if Pantodac is safe and also whether it can be taken thrice a day in pregnancy. Should i take it before or after food. Thanks for your help.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

Pantodac(pantoprazole) is classified under CATEGORY B by the FDA.This means there has not been any risk for the baby in animal studies and for humans, it can be taken in pregnancy if advised by the doctor on examination.You can take the medication as per the dose advised by your doctor.It is safe enough for your present condition.

It must be taken half an hour before food .I would also suggest you avoid tea, coffee and spicy food. Have good amount of fluids like fruit juice , water, etc to keep yourself hydrated.

You may also consider visiting your doctor again if the pain/stomach upset continues. An examination and investigations will be needed.

Hope this answers your query. I am available for follow ups as well.
Follow-up: Is antiacidity medication taken and safe during pregnancy? 31 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your reply Doctor.
My worry is the pain comes again after 2 - 3 hours of taking the medicine. My Doctor advised me to take this medicine but i didnt not ask her how many times i should take it in a day. I assumed it to be three times a day before any main meal. Could i be wrong? Though the pain subsides after taking the medicine, an uneasy feeling in the stomach still exists. Is it normal in pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Any medicine including Over the counters should only be taken after informing your treating doctor. A single dose should do, hence all your doctor and inform before you take such medicines.

I would also prefer that you get an examination done by your doctor with an ultrasound scan as well , this would give us a clear idea about the progress of the pregnancy and the reason for the pain.

Some blood tests and a urine analysis may be helpful .

Meanwhile follow a bland diet and reduce stress, take good rest.Drink lots of water.Keep a watch on the baby's movements/kick counts.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you a safe confinement