Is anti-rabbies shot necessary if bitten by a vaccinated dog?

General Surgeon
My neighbours dog bit me in the upper arm. One teeth made a pin head size depression where the skin was torn a bit. There was no blood at the time of biting. After washing with water within a few minutes, it did have slight amounts of blood form underneath the skin. This was 21 days ago. The neighbour says the dog is vaccinated. The dog looks fine. Do I need a rabies vaccine? ( I thought no , but some relatives suggested I ask)
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Vaccination not necessary now Detailed Answer: Hi Namaskar Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX The amount of exposure you had was significant. As the dog has already been vaccinated and even after 21 days the dog is healthy like before its unlikely that dog is not infected with Rabies. There is no need for vaccination. Rest be assured everything is alright. I would further update you the ideal management of dog or any animal bite If a person is bitten by dog or any animal, following is recommended 1. Immediately wash off the area with running water, preferable using a detergent soap for 10 - 15 minutes. (you have follwed it well) 2. Immediately consult a Surgeon for assesment of the wound, Anti rabies vaccine is to be taken on the same day( Day 0)(Even if the dog is domesticated/vaccinated) 3. Repeat dose of anti rabies vaccine on Day 3 and Day 7 following exposure 4. Assess the animal ( if its domesticted its easy , ) at Day 10: If the animal is alive and there is no alteration in its behaviour then further doses of vaccination are not needed. If the animal cannot be assesed like in case of wild animals or non domesticated dogs or the animal dies within 10 days or behaves abnoramlly like unprovoked bitting to others, excessive salivation or sits alone like dumb then further doses on day 14 and day 28 with optional day 90 dose is recommended. This information is just for your future guidance. In your case there is no cause of concern as the dog is vaccinated, still doing fine at 21 days. Remember Rabies is the disease with 100% Mortality/fatality. Its always better to be safe than sorry. In case you need further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon