Is anesthesia given before cochlear implant surgery?

When a person goes into surgery, like cochlear implant surgery, does he get anesthesized in a hospital ward before wheeling into an operation room or in an operation room itself? (I'm writing a script about a guy who's having surgery to get a cochlear implant so I need to know the general procedure in terms of when a patient gets anesthesia).
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

For most surgery anesthesia is not given until the patient is transferred to the operating room table. Prior to surgery also patients must not have eaten any food for at least 12 hours prior to the procedure.

After the patient is transferred to the operating room the patient is then transferred to the operating room table. The anesthesiologist will then start an intravenous line. The anesthesiologist will then administer inhaled anesthesia in addition to intravenous medication to start the process of general anesthesia.

After complete anesthesia is obtained and Erway will be inserted into the patient's trachea. This will be maintained Throughout the surgery to protect the airway.

After the surgery the anesthesia will slowly be weaned.

The patient will then slowly wake up and will typically be groggy For a few hours.

I hope this information proved to be helpful.

Dr Robert