Is an eye infection of gram negative bacilli serious?

Hi, My wife got an infection on her left eye corne. after the testing of her eye corneal scraping the traces of gram negative bacilli were found. How serious is it? Doctor has prescribed few eyr drops. but lately she is feeling pukish and also headache above her eye. is this serious. she is wearing contact lenses for last 10 yrs as her number is high (-6 something)
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
The corneal infection is a common problem in the contact lens users specially if they are worn for a long time or there is any default in observing the ocular or lens hygiene.
The gram negative bacilli are a common organism to infect the cornea. The antibiotics she is getting are appropriate and effective in this kind of an infection. It will take 4-5 days for the symptoms to subside considerably.
Finish all antibiotic medication even if you are feeling better before the medication is gone. It is not serious if treated early.
Discontinue using contact lenses till the infection is resolved completely.
The symptoms of headache and pukish feeling are due to corneal infection only. They will subside once the infection is controlled.
You should know the correct use of contact lens. I hope she knows those by now since she is using for long term.
Ask your doctor about LASIK surgery if is not able to follow hygienic practices after the infection subsides.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.