Is an abnormal pap smear, watery and bloody discharge a sign of cervical cancer ?

I have always been consistent with my yearly pap smears, but this time, I went to the doctor a little early because I was experiencing spotting during this past month. I got a phone call saying that my pap smear was abnormal and that I need to schedule a biopsy. I had unprotected sex for the first time 1.5 months ago after being abstinent for over a year. I'm very scared. What could this mean?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Follow-up: Is an abnormal pap smear, watery and bloody discharge a sign of cervical cancer ? 3 minutes later
I am very scared that I have cervical cancer because I am reading that if someone has watery, bloody discharge, that is a sign of cervical cancer. I can't get in touch with my doctor because it is the weekend. However, I am so scared.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Pap smears are not 100% conclusive for cervical cancer.And if a test is abnormal then there can be many reasons that may cause this.An abnormal smear merely means that some cells are not normal,and that can occur due to many reasons like infection,white discharge,multiple partners ,frequent sex etc.About cervical cancer,your age group is too early for the manisfestation of cancer.Usually it occurs in later life.I would suggest that you get that biopsy and wait till the report come back.You also need to be examined by your gynaecologist.Your symptoms of blood discharge can occur due to local irritation,ulcers,polyps etc.So before you panic please get your reports in order.

Do contact me with queries,if you have them.