Is an X-ray or a CT scan better for diagnosis of xiphoid process?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
can an an x ray show that there is a xiphoid process present or does it have to be a ct scan? if it has to be a ct scan, do most locations have the machine or do you have to go to the ER, and wait for hrs, or go to a specialty place?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in to us. X ray sternum is done to evaluate the xiphoid process. However, it is important to note that the variations in configuration of the xiphoid process and calcified costal cartilage may cause confusion particularly if a patient has any symptoms relating to the area. A CT scan will give a more accurate picture and better assessment of the soft tissues in the region. Most locations have CT machines and you may make enquiries with your local hospital. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Is an X-ray or a CT scan better for diagnosis of xiphoid process? 10 minutes later
what could be symptoms of costal cartilage? only symptom I have right now is very mild pressure on the sternum when I accidently slouch when sitting, along with feelin a lump, with my finger, at the bottom of my sternum, when I stick out my chest.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Commonest symptom is mild pain Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back to us. The commonest complaint in costo chondritis is mild pain in the costal cartilage region. Very often there is no significant finding on X ray. Should there be a lump as you have felt, the best investigation is CT scan. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek