Is an MRI brain and EEG,both required for Micturition syncope?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Patient Details: Male, 32 years, 74 kg, 5.9 inch, BP 120/80 mmhg During urination, patient fainted and got hurt in the Occipital area. Next day visited a doctor in Manipal hospital for check-up. Patient was feeling much better but still wanted to consult a doctor. Doctor diagnosed Micturition Syncope and recommended for: 1. MRI of Brain 2. EEG Doctor also did a normal clinical check-up and was kind of convinced that everything is fine. But still asked to go for the above 2 tests. Queries Do I really need to go for any tests? Are both the tests really required or should I go for only anyone of it. After MRI, is EEG really required ? Please advise. Regards
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query. Micturition syncope is a common and harmless condition, and there is no need to worry about it. This happens because of temporary reduction of blood flow to the brain. Generally, MRI brain and EEG are not required in this condition, as both the tests would come out as normal. Only if the history or clinical examination suggest a possibility of alternative diagnosis such as TIA (transient ischemic attack or minor brain stroke) or seizure (fits), then, these tests would be required. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: Is an MRI brain and EEG,both required for Micturition syncope? 50 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. If i have to go for any one test for verifying the impact of the injury I had, which one should i do - MRI or EEG ? Though i had an injury in head due to the fall but it did not bleed or anything but i got a bump on my head. Please advice. This will help me get peace f mind. Thanks,XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: For finding out the impact of fall or head injury, CT scan of the brain is the best, as this would show any fracture of skull bone or any internal bleeding in the brain. CT scan would be better than MRI brain in these regards. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Is an MRI brain and EEG,both required for Micturition syncope? 6 minutes later
Hi doctor. Since the neurologist at Manipal asked for MRI and not CT hence CT is not an option. Just let me know between MRI and EEG , what should i undergo or i hould undergo both ? Thanks,XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Since you asked me for a specific situation- "verifying the impact of injury". So, for this, CT scan is better than MRI. So, my opinion would still be CT scan. However, if I suspect other problems (such as minor brain stroke-TIA, or seizures, and not micturition syncope), then, I would prefer MRI brain. At Manipal, Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is a good neurologist (he was my junior at CMC Vellore; so, I know about him). If your choice is limited to doing one of MRI brain and EEG, then, I would advise MRI brain. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)