Is allergy caused due to extremely high value of IgE?

ENT Specialist
I hope you remember my previous query on Allergy problems. I consulted and ENT and we had a blood check up. It shows that IgE (ImmunoGlobulin) is 724.28 IU / ml the normal value being 1.31 -165.3 IU / ml The doctor said that allergy is due to extremely high value of IgE. Is this a bad condition ? and what are the steps to overcome this ? Will I have to take medications to lower IgE values ?
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: RelaxNot that bad a condition as u are considering Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. IgE levels are an indicator of allergic response of the body due to some allergen. IgE main function is to provide immunity to the body especially against parasites as well as it has got an essential role in allergic reactions and hypersensitivity reactions of the body and is also raised in auto immune diseases. The statement that 'The allergy is due to extremely high value of IgE' is being wrongly understood by you. IgE levels rising is an indicator of the body's reaction to any allergen when one is able to find it specifically or not. It is a condition which has got symptomatic consequences meaning thereby that your chances of being allergic to few or many things is high. It s a bad condition should not be a statement as allergy is a common problem and patients with such high levels of IgE who are symptomatic need treatment on long term basis but your levels are not that high to be labelled as hyperimmunoglobin E syndrome. Please go for deworming in consultation with your doctor. Also your management does not change and should remain as already explained. Anti allergic medications in the form already discussed for your symptoms should be the only thing you should go for. Immunotherapy may be an option but the decision to go for immunotherapy should be based on the symptoms and not on IgE levels as well as on the response to initial doses of immunotherapy. Feel free to ask another query. Regards