Is albenzadole effective for pinworms? How soon does it work?

Average

Question
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.

Albendazole may be used in cases of pinworm infections.400 mg orally once as a single dose is generally needed and may be repeated in 2 weeks. It can be effective within a day after taking it.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Is albenzadole effective for pinworms? How soon does it work? 2 hours later
I am still having tickling crawling feelings all night long, should I take an extra dose one week early?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 10 hours later

Thanks for the question.

Generally in most cases one dose is enough. Instead of repeating dose, I would suggest you to get a stool analysis done. This will help to know if there are still worms or egg left untreated. This will also help to know if there is any other worm infestation.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards.