Is advil and paraffin treatment advisable to keep warm in cold weather?

May 2014

After shoveling snow my toes felt itchy then some felt/seem swollen. Do I need to get to a hospital or is there something I can do here at home? If a response was emailed to me, I haven't received it yet. I wanted to let you know the swelling seems to be gone now or almost gone. I'm going to take an advil and would a paraffin treatment be a good idea? Is it just a matter of keeping the toes warm although I didn't feel cold while I was outside. I was pretty warm since I made sure to dress properly.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi Gsanti1, Thanks for writing in to us. Nice to know that the swelling in your toes have gone. The weather in New Jersey is too cold and with the approaching snow storm, it might just get worse. Sometimes you just don't realize how cold it is and by then your limbs are already exposed and you start feeling the early symptoms of frostbite. I suggest you take every precaution to keep yourself warm. Paraffin wax treatment does help in reducing pain and also retains heat and keeps your feet warm. Be careful to follow instructions and do it accordingly. You may take advil only if you are having significant pain. I hope you are taking your hypertension and hypothyroidism medications regularly. Wishing you good health. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek