Is adrenomyeloneuropathy curable and stem cell therapy advisable?

My friend is 30 yrs old , he is having adrenomyeloneuropathy (ANM), consulted with many physicians but no result as yet, can it be cured? Is stem cell therapy advisable?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 3 hours later

as far as treatment is concerned, oral administration of a mixture of glyceryl trioleate and trierucate oils (also referred to as XXXXXXX oil) may normalize the levels of saturated long chain fatty acid in plasma within 4 weeks. However Clinical results in patients who already had neurologic involvement have been disappointing.

Bone marrow transplantation is another option

Though there are reports of stem cell therapy, it is still not treated as a standard of therapy

I feel that currently there are no definite management that can halt the natural history

Please get an opinion from an expert in neuro-muscular diseases too

hope this helps
Follow-up: Is adrenomyeloneuropathy curable and stem cell therapy advisable? 16 minutes later
Thanks a lot Doctor. He started taking Lorenzo's oil, is Bone marrow transplantation done in India or where we can approach?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 4 minutes later

To the best of my knowledge, there is no center that is doing bone marrow transplant in India.
If you are from India, please feel free to directly write me as an email, you can send email to one of the professor in US.

I will be happy to help you

Best wishes