Is accidental application of nitro glycerine patches harmful to children?

I wear nitro glycerine patches 0.1 mg/hr..on in am and off at bed. It must have fallen out of garbage on floor and my seven year old granddaughter goy it stuck on her knee....we did not know until a few mins ago...she has had a bad headache all this serious for her?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
likely ok but will need a blood pressure check

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Your concern is understandable.

As you may know, nitroglycerin acts to dilate blood vessels, both the arteries and the veins. This is how it improves blood supply to the heart , reduces the stress or work of the heart and also can reduce blood pressure.

The headache that she experienced is a known side effect of this medication. It has not been studied in children and specific effects and safety is not specifically known but after a patch has been discarded, even though the concentration remaining in the patch to be a potential hazard.

It can potentially cause a reduction in her blood pressure,confusion, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fainting.

She is likely to be fine but it would be best to take her to her doctor so at least, her blood pressure can be checked to ensure that it has not dropped significantly.
If it has she may be given medication to increase and also may require fluids.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions