Is abdominal soreness after severe vomiting and diarrhea a sign of kidney pain?

36 hours ago I developed severe vomiting and diarrhea. It has been 10 hours since my last episode of vomiting. My question is about abdominal pain. I know to expect some abdominal soreness but I have bilateral pain in what I think is my kidney area. The pain is really intense when I move but the subsides about 2-3 minutes later. I had an appendectomy 20 years ago, passed urine this a.m. Could this be kidney pain? If so what should I do?
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: You have amebic dysentry due to food poisoning Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Your symptoms suggest that you suffered from an acute bacterial/amebic infection apparently due to food poisoning. The pain is due to infection-induced inflammation of the inner lining of the large intestine (called Colon). That is, the inner lining is sore. The initial 3/4th of the colon is located in an inverted U-shaped manner. It has three segments : ascending colon (on right side), Transverse colon (horizontal in the upper abdomen and, Descending colon (on the left side of abdomen). The pain is arising from an inflamed ascending and descending colon, which mimic bilateral kidney-pain. Diarrhea is not a feature of kidneys' infection. However, co-existing kidney infection cannot be ruled out, particularly if you have co-existing urine infection. A prompt course of anti-amebic drug and Probiotics will facilitate early healing of the inflamed colon, within 2-3 days' time. Till the colon heals, take an anti-spasmodic drug , such as, dicyclomine for relief of pain Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order stool tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal