Is a white patch on penis head due to fungal infection?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
hi i have a small white patch on the penis head. Is that fungal? I t has now come in another spot too on the penis head?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more information+picture Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX White patch on the glans could possibly be due to either Vitiligo OR Lichen simplex chronicus etc. Fungal infections usually don't present as a white patch I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better. --Since how long is the patch present? --Are there any symptoms associated with the patch? Itching? --Can you please upload a clear picture of the affected area or me to be able to guide you better? regards

Follow-up: Is a white patch on penis head due to fungal infection? 0 minute later
Since how long is the patch present? for 2 months now --Are there any symptoms associated with the patch? Itching? no itching at all --Can you please upload a clear picture of the affected area or me to be able to guide you better? how do i?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Mucosal vitiligo Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the picture. It is not a fungal infection. I would keep a possibility of Mucosal Vitiligo. Vitiligo has an autoimmune etiology in which one's own immunity acts against melanocytes thus causing white patches to appear. They can either appear on the skin or on mucosa. In my practice i usually prescribe a topical immunomodulator e.g tacrolimus 0.03% twice daily for a focal patch of vitiligo. It should be rubbed in gently to hasten penetration. Response can be slow and can sometimes take up to 2 months to get noticeable results. take care regards

Follow-up: Is a white patch on penis head due to fungal infection? 23 minutes later
Thank You Doctor The reason i asked u if it was fungal is - i apply candid b on my pennis every day. If i skip it for a day or two.. a layer of rubbery substance covers my penis, which comes off if i rub them off with a cloth.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Smegma it is. Detailed Answer: Hi. The layer that you mention comes off is,smegma. Its is a sebaceous secretion, (especially the cheesy secretion) that collects under the prepuce. Smegma is a combination of exfoliated epithelial cells, skin oils, and moisture. It can accumulate when the head of the penis isn't regularly cleaned. This can be easily remedied through good personal hygiene. Clean the area with just plain water daily. take care regards