Is a sudden chest pain on both sides related to heart problem ?

Recently I have been having what feels like chronic heartburn- a sudden pain to the chest on both sides. Also I have been having anxiety attacks, most of which have gone away.
However today, I felt this pain in my chest on the left side, along with very mild pain in the upper arm, and slight tingling up my arm. Should I go to the ER or is it not heart-related?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

I apologise for the delay in answering your query.

Cardiac pains are usually unbearable pain associated with breathing difficulties, sweating, rapid breathing and other anxiety symptoms. Though the symptoms are less likely to be a cardiac event, you need medical attention as soon as possible. Physical examination along with EKG is entailed.

If the pain is severe and ER is not close by, then you may try the following:

1. Syp. Mucaine gel one teaspoon (5ml) now along with
2. One tablet of Prilosec OTC stat.

Slow XXXXXXX breathing exercise will calm you down.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up after the initial evaluation.