Is a painful lump in my scrotum due to a sexually transmitted disease?

I have a painful bump/lump on the bottom of my right scrotum. I want to know if it is std. If it is not std, will it go away on its on? If not what cream i can use to make it go away? Or do I need to visit a doctor? I am too embarrasshed. Please advise
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Hi there,

I think that you may need to see a doctor for examination.
You quite possibly have a sebaceous cyst,as the location is quite common.
It wont go away on its own and you need to have it drained.So please do see a surgeon to confirm the diagnosis and get treatment.The other possibility is an abscess which may be developing.That too needs drainage.

I suggest that you see that doctor and please dont be embarrassed.

Follow-up: Is a painful lump in my scrotum due to a sexually transmitted disease? 3 hours later

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Can any regular doctor do the draining thing if it comes to that? Or do I really have to see a specialist? It is very important for me to because I am not fotunate enough to have health insurance.

Is alright to ask you if you any know doctors who know about this stuff in New York?

Please let me know. I am just freaking out here because i have been googling this stuff for days now and all of my search results saying it could turn cancerous.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 hours later

You are un necessarily worried about the problem that you have. It is very unlikely to turn cancerous.

If your bump is on the bottom of the scrotum and superficial,then cyst is more likely. You should be examined by a doctor first to confirm the diagnosis. Any general physician can help in the diagnosis. If the diagnosis of sebaceous cyst is confirmed, then it can be removed by a Primary physician also. Ideally I would prefer, that a surgeon do the treatment. Sebaceous cysts are completely harmless so there is a difference of opinion whether it should be drained or not is better taken by your treating GP.

Any primary can help you so you would not require a specific referral in NewYork.

Follow-up: Is a painful lump in my scrotum due to a sexually transmitted disease? 12 hours later

Thank you very much for being so helpful so far. I jus wanted to update you. I did went to a doctor today and I had him examined the problem. He said it is more like a pimple and he said he could be cyst too. He said the draining was not necessary becaue he didn't think it has a puss.

He has prescribed me cephalexin 500 mg anti biotic. He has told me to take it for a week after every 8 hours.

I just wanted to ask, if that is common for doctors to prescribe these anti biotics for this problem? Also can i apply bacitracin ointment on it? I forgot to ask my doctor about it.

Please let me know. Once again, thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later

That is good to hear.

Yes,antibiotics are routinely prescribed with or without surgery.I suggest you take the prescription.
Do not apply any ointment on it now.It might clog the pores.Just finish the antibiotic course and if it works,then the cyst should be resolved soon.