Is a lump on the center of the penis shaft a sign of any STD ?

I'm a 52 YO male, 6ft 170 and I'm taking Crestor for cholesterol. Recent blood work indicates all is good and I exercise 5 days/week. There is no reason for me to consider STD's. I had a prostate biopsy about 10 months ago, with negative results. I have a pea sized lump that feels as though it's in the center of my penis shaft just below the glans. The is no pain except when I get an erection, at which time it feels just slightly sore. There are no discharges, painful urination, etc.. I'm not aware of any recent trauma, but I do masturbate 5 or so times per week. I'm thinking it's been there two to three months, and does not appear to be getting better or worse.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The small pea sized lump on your penis shaft (if we are not expecting any STD) could be due to a blocked gland like sebaceous cyst. It usually remains like that without much problem but pains when it is infected.

The only treatment is to get the cyst removed surgically.

An examination by your surgeon will help in the proper diagnosis and you can discuss with him about its removal also.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Is a lump on the center of the penis shaft a sign of any STD ? 12 hours later
Just to clarify, it is not ON my penis, but within. It is not visible on the surface, but may be palpated. Same response? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
A small lump only palpable and not visible on the penis shaft is less likely to be a sebaceous cyst.
It is more likely to be a lymphocele or a granuloma due to seepage of semen from urethra which triggers the formation of chronic inflammatory reaction.
An examination will confirm the diagnosis.
Usually it is a harmless condition and does not need any treatment.
Wishing you an early recovery.