Is a heavy period with clots caused due to siatic nerve pain?

I have siatic nerve pain which come on and off unexpectedly, but 3 days before my period is when it goes from mild to moderate nad Motrin no longer works and during the first 3 days of my actual period it gies from moderate to extremly painful. It feels XXXXXXX inside like someone is digging a knife tinto me and know i am placed on Vicodin and valium. All pain meds with no answer. I am now writing becuase im noticing my periods are gtting heavier with clots. What could be causing this.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 17 minutes later

The sciatic nerve pain isn't related to the pelvic pain during menses called dysmenorrhea. Although dysmenorrhea is very common and occurs regularly in the reproductive age group, there are some pathological causes that may cause severe pain during menses.

If you are bleeding heavily, with passage of clots or prolonged bleeding, then you need to get an ultrasound first. Fibroids, endometriosis, adenomyosis, polyps etc.. need to be rule out.
In the peri menopausal period, irregular, heavy bleeding is often possible.

I would suggest that first you see your doctor, get examined and get an ultrasound to look for any pathology. With that, we can get a better idea what to rule out and decide on the management.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Follow-up: Is a heavy period with clots caused due to siatic nerve pain? 9 hours later
My ob gyn Dr told me it seems like I have an enlarged uterus and my be fibroids causing pain what r treatment options
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Yes, fibroids are very much possible here. Treatment depends on the number and size of the fibroids. Anything more that 5 cm needs to be removed. Multiple fibroids are sometimes difficult to remove so hysterectomy is advised. Myomectomy is the other option for larger ones.

In case of smaller fibroids or single ones, symptoms usually improve with menopause. Fibroids are estrogen dependant. If estrogen is reduced in the body, like in menopause, then fibroids shrink.

Discuss details with your doctor with the ultrasound report. It should state size, number and location and can plan for the further treatment accordingly.

Hope this answers your query.