Is a heart transplant necessary for ventricular ejection fraction of 35%?

Question
yes my husband stress test was abnormal he had a heart attack a few years ago and has cad and chf and his lv systolic funtion is reduced and has hypokisis with thining scarring and dyskinesis of the apex with an ef fraction of 35 the doctor told us he needs a defibutator because the front part of the heart wall is damaged and they are refering us to loyola in chicago. does he need a heart transplant and what are his chances he also has diabetis type 2
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No, he does not need a heart transplant! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query I am so sorry to hear about what your husband has experienced. I do understand your fears and this is totally normal. No one would have a loved one going through such and not be worried. He does not for sure need a cardiac transplant at this time, not with a ventricular ejection fraction of 35%. What drives heart transplantation indications are the symptoms of his heart disease that have failed all possible medical treatment and not numbers from examinations. You have not described symptoms suggestive of a completely dysfunctional heart that may suggest that as a possible reason for your referral. From the information you have provided above, the reason for his referral and what they plan on doing is clear. His heart changes suggest that he can easily have a terrible and potentially fatal abnormal heart beat rhythm. It is for this reason that the doctors want to get in a place a system that can immediately address such an abnormality if it does occurs and prevent XXXXXXX consequences. This is called an implantable cardiac defibrillator. I am sure you are aware of defibrillators that are often used when persons go down with heart arrest so as to kick start the heart and get it working again. He would simply get one put in place just in case such an event happens he should be able to be automatically helped out of it by this device. It is a very small device! It is certainly not the best of information when patients heart conditions constantly require even further attention. However, he is not getting any better and things can easily get bad if he should develop a terrible heart rhythm that leads to heart arrest. Diabetes must have probably contributed to him developing the heart attack and still increases his risk for cardiac disease. However, it has no direct impact on the defibrillator implantation and functioning. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish hi the best of health and a positive and rewarding visit to Chicago! Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Is a heart transplant necessary for ventricular ejection fraction of 35%? 49 minutes later
Thank you doctor but i wonder if i can send you results of the stress test via fax or i can give you a photo copy could you help answer my questions you see i im also disabled and i dont know what i will do if he gets worse or even passes away please help

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, you can upload a copy Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for this follow up question. Please, it is possible to scan and upload as an attachment. Check for this option as you try to type out your question. if it id proving difficult, check with our customer service for help. Sorry to hear you are disabled. I understand how heavy this can be for you both. I really wish him the best of all possible outcome. Hope you get t figure out how to send the copies. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.