Is a flagger job suitable for a person who had hand cut off in an accident and then put back after surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, my spouse had a very bad work injury last march 15, 2012. He was working for a Shake and Shingle saw mill, and was using a machine called a cuber (which is a big blade, axe) and he cut his hand off in this injury. So he was sent to a hospital where he under went a 14 1/2 hour surgery to put his hand back together. The surgery was a success and has been on wcb since the accident. Now they are trying to get him back into the work field because he hit a plateau in his healing, he is now doing some tutoring to become a flagger, we are uncertain if he will even be able to do all the tasks that are required for this position. We know with most certainty he will never return to more physical jobs or his last job. I am just wondering your incite on this. So, I guess my question is, do you feel it is a good job to get into or should he get a note from our local physician to tell wcb that this isnt something he will be able to go forward with. OUr biggest fear is that he will fail and then just shut himself right up. They choose this job because he is limited to what he can do with a very low level of education
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Flagger would be a good job for him. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Flagger would be a good job for him as it does not require skill and fine muscle movements. He can do that with his non injured arm also. As both lower limbs are normal and no head injury he can manage to balance his body. Plastic surgeon or hand surgeon may help regarding possibility of tendon transfer for better functioning of arm. You may consult physiotherapist for guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound and muscle stimulation which is helpful in your case. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.