Is a blood stain on a shirt a medical concern?

Jan 2013

I have a shirt with a blood stain on it. I cut myself a few months ago, and the stain never came off of my favorite shirt.

My friends told me that this is a SERIOUS medical CRISIS and that no one but me should "ever" touch my shirt, they refuse to be with me when I wear it, but the blood stain has been a stain for over 3 months.

My roommate never helps me do the laundry because of this shirt, either. I get stuck doing all of the laundry.....:-(

Is this call for concern? They said I need to throw my shirt away but it was a birthday gift and I don't want to trash it if I don't have to. Am I really endangering my friends?

I have no health issues. I'm 27 years old and I'm a guy, my last medical check up was 4 months ago, and I was very healthy. The doctor said I'm as healthy as a horse, I'm in "prime condition". There was nothing that came up in my results at all....

I take asprin for headaches and I also take a siezure medication which thins my blood, so when I cut myself with a knife I got a thin line of blood on my shirt but that was months ago.

Please help me keep my favorite shirt :-( Are my friends right or wrong? Can I tell them to leave me alone? They treat me bad because of my blood stained shirt, but I don't think it carries any health crisis because it's a stain.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later

You are right, this is not a major issue and a serious health crisis as its a just stain

Blood contains iron and because of this, you shirt gets permanent stains and now there is no chances of getting infection from this stain. There are two reasons for this: 1) You are a healthy & normal guy and you are not suffering from any disease. 2) blood and if any infection present in blood, gets dry and become uninfected after so many wash.

Your friends have made it a issue which is not a correct.

For your shirt,you should consult the laundry person. Sometimes its difficult to remove these blood stains.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr.Mayank Bhargava