Is a blood pressure reading 87 / 47 normal ?

ENT Specialist
My blood pressure is 87/47, is this okay?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 44 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

Well, the blood pressure reading are below normal limits and suggests hypotension, Hypotension is generally considered as systolic blood pressure less than 90 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or diastolic less than 60 mm Hg.

Hypotension in a healthy person that does not cause any problems usually doesn't require treatment.
If you have signs or symptoms of low blood pressure, you may need treatment.

Treatment depends on the cause of your low blood pressure.

If you have orthostatic hypotension caused by medicines, your doctor may change the dose or switch you to a different drug.

DO NOT stop taking any medicine before talking to your doctor.

Other treatments include increasing fluids to treat dehydration or wearing elastic hose to boost blood pressure in the lower part of the body.

Avoid triggers, such as standing for a long period of time.

Other treatments involve drinking plenty of fluids and increasing the amount of salt in your diet.

Keep your blood pressure recorded. If the readings are persistently low, I encourage you to consult a doctor for evaluation.

Hope this will help you and I am available to answer your future follow ups if any.