Is a blood pressure of 145/120 normal or do I need any medicine?

Question
My BP is 145/120. is this normal or i need any medicine.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 45 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions, blood pressure in the large artery of the heart, the aorta, and the other large arteries of a healthy adult male is usually 120 mm Hg during the contraction of the heart (systole), and 80 mm Hg during relaxation of the heart (diastole). For adults, a normal reading can be anywhere from 120/70 to 140/90. Readings that are consistently 140/90 or above (as for you) are considered high (hypertensive) and would indicate the need for medication and diet modifications. Will recommend you visit your clinician for further examination. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks