Is a blood pressure of 134/100 bad?

Cardiologist
Question
I just took my blood presure because my heart beat is raising and is 134/100 is that bad?

Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your brief question with diligence.
If your blood pressure is 134/100 , 134 signified systolic blood pressure in mm of Hg and 100 signifies diastolic blood pressure in mm of Hg. Your reading shows hypertension. Please ask a supplementary query and with that provide information regarding three questions:
1. Are you a patient of blood pressure elevation and this is one of the reading. In that case how long you have elevated blood pressure and is there any other condition like diabetes or heart disease you are having? When was the last time you remember your blood pressure was recorded high or normal?
2, If you are not a patient of high blood pressure is it one off reading that is high? What was the reason behind recording it?
3. Is there a family history of high blood pressure, coronary artery disease or stroke?

Looking forward from hearing from you. You will get a reply within hours today itself. Regards
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Is a blood pressure of 134/100 bad? 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. No I do not have any history of heart desease in my family and I normaly have a blood presure of 128/75. Today I was concern because my heart beat was very unusual: fast, uneven and make me cought at times because I could not bread properly. I will call my family doctor tomorrow for an appoitment and follow up.

Hi there,

Thanks for the information sent.
So your major problem is fast heart beat. Even if you do not have time to see doctor of a busy Monday (or it is still lazy Sunday where you are!), I am concerned by your "uneven" pulse if it means "irregular", then can I request you to get an EKG recorded for that will provide diagnostic clue for the ailment you are suffering. Perhaps if you visit the ER they will do an EKG at least. My fear is these signs are at times transient. Nothing to panic about or even concerned about faster rate otherwise. Evaluation for those things can wait for next 24 hours and good doctor will take care. A single reading does not make you hypertensive and I hope you are not. So, again the pulse concerns me. Keep me informed please. Good Luck.

Dr Anil Grover